Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I'm About

As trite as it sounds, I believe that everyone has a story. I am but a simple observer in the world. I watch the things that happen around me, human dramas that never engulf me personally. I only take part in the show when engaged by others.
Of course I have my own life and I enjoy it as well, but I feel that my main purpose is to document others and have fun while doing it. If the others are not interesting at the moment, I will create my own others.

This past summer, I decided to make a list of all the characters I've ever created (in this sense of the word I mean character design on paper). So far I've listed over 530 of them; and those are the ones whose names I can remember. I've got all sorts of characters from 60 year-old men to anthropomorphic bears to talking newts. Each one is part of a distinct series and has their own story and background. I must sound absolutely mental by now.

I began coming up with stories around the time that I started to draw (around 4 years). Their creation has given me countless hours of entertainment that was needed since I am an only child. Every character I've come up with means something to me, like old friends and acquaintances. For 15 years I've been doing this and I only hope that the world enjoys my creations half as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment