Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Beef With 3D

It seems that 3D features are everywhere nowadays and I am a little disheartened by it. As a child of the 90's I was used to 2D, and then when 3D came along, it seemed that everyone was immediately sucked in to it and its potential.
I feel that today, the general look of a movie or TV show is paid more attention to than the story it is trying to tell. Audiences are gobbling up the special effects and super-realistic cloth swishing but they are left hungry because of the lack of a story (though, Pixar is very good at 3D and very good at stories).
It really gets on my nerves when a TV series comes out in 3D (first experienced with "Cubix"), especially when the graphics are second rate (eg. the people's hair looks like they're carved from one piece of plastic and their cotton clothes fold like a raincoat). Lately I've been seeing less of this, which makes me glad only until I happen across something like "Chowder" and then I get irate again but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm not here to bash 3D, some of my favorite movies were computer generated (Pixar stuff, Shrek), and as for video games, I'll allow it since a major part of playing a game is immersion and 3D gives a more "realistic" quality. I'm just saying I wish people won't go overboard with it. For crying out loud General Car Insurance also climbed onto the bandwagon! And Nasonex! And the bee/wasp thing keeps changing designs every two commercials!


In short, I would like people to focus more on the story aspect of a project (2D features need to listen to this as well. Chowder!). And if the story warrants 3D animation, then the animation better be damn good. Too much bad 3D and bad stories is just too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment